Join us from September 15-22, 2018
Soak in the late-season sun in southern France while you paint and watch the grape harvest in one of the world’s most picturesque locations. From vineyards to olive tree groves, from gently rolling hills to the peak of Mont Ventoux, Provence offers the painter a rich variety of scenes to capture in oils, water colors or pastels.
Non-artist partners and others are very welcome on this tour and will enjoy the many cultural activities and additional excursions planned for you.
The town of Vaison-la-Romaine, and the surrounding towns of Nyons and Mirabel-aux-Baronnies, rests in a relatively undiscovered corner of Provence where castle ruins sit side by side with ancient stone villages, where tidy French gardens grow beneath spreading fruit trees.
It is here where you’ll be painting for a week under the skilled guidance of River Gallery School instructor Lynn Zimmerman.
The surrounding area is the largest grower of olives in France, while also producing apricots and other fruits, not to mention miles and miles of grape vines.
Vaison-la-Romaine itself dates from at least from Roman times, complete with an amphitheater, Roman town, and other ruins. Of more recent vintage is the Medieval castle that tops a labyrinth of ancient village streets.
Dates: September 15-22, 2018, optional 3-day add-on in Avignon
Cost: $2700, excluding airfare
Maximum group size: 12
Workshop History: Read and view photos from our 2017 trip to Provence
More information: Download Workshop Brochure
How to Register:
This trip is sponsored by the River Gallery School. To register for this trip, call the school at 802.257.1577 or send an email to: email@example.com. More information is found on the River Gallery School Website.
Workshop Art Instructor and Mentor:
Instructor, River Gallery School
Lynn finds great joy in helping her students explore and discover their artistic abilities. Her love of painting and drawing comes through as she helps her students understand how to see, how to use color, how light and shadows create forms, and how to translate all these elements into paintings. The technical aspects of painting and drawing are an important part of her instruction, but always with the goal of helping her students create the pictures they want to create.
Whether the subject matter is a hillside vineyard in Provence or a plate of cheese, Lynn helps her students see the paintings they want to make, and make the paintings they want to see. Currently, she teaches watercolor painting and book arts at River Gallery.
A sampling of Lynn's work from our 2017 workshop in Provence:
Optional 3-night add-on in Avignon at start of trip
Wednesday to Saturday (September 12 to 15):
Take three nights in small, southern French city of Avignon to overcome jet lag before starting the formal Artist Tour. Avignon, one-time home of the Popes, provides a perfect setting to get your feet on the ground, brush up on your French, catch up on your sleep and prepare yourself for the following week.
This optional add-on is organized as follows:
- We will meet you at the airport in Paris and accompany you by train to Avignon
- We will see you to your hotel that we have booked for you
- Tour leaders will be available during this period in case you should need assistance, but generally you will have unstructured time to explore the city or museums or do whatever you like.
- On Saturday, when the formal portion of the workshop begins, a van will pick you up at the hotel to transport you to Vaison-la-Romaine.
- Total cost of the trip is $2,700
- Supplement for single occupancy of $375
- Deposit required to reserve a place on the tour: $350
(Places on the trip are limited to 12 and are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.)
Optional pre-trip stay in Avignon:
$450 based on double occupancy. This portion of the trip is hotel-only. Meals are not included.
What’s included in the cost of the trip:
- Art instruction by River Gallery School instructor
- 7 nights lodging
- Breakfast and dinner each day
- Pickup and drop off in Avignon or nearby train station
- Local transportation by van and driver
- Day excursion to explore Provencal villages
What’s not included:
- Train fare to and from Paris to Avignon
- Wine and olive oil tasting
- Admission to museums and local sites
- Art supplies
Tour participants will stay in a hotel in Vaison-la-Romaine, providing convenient access to shopping, services, the Roman Ruins and the medieval city and castle.
- Traditional French breakfasts to be taken at the lodging facilities.
- Dinner will be served at restaurants in or near Vaison-la-Romaine
Optional day trips:
Several optional excursions will be offered for those who might like to take a day off painting, or for non-painters who may wish to come on this trip.
End of trip add-ons (optional):
At the end of the trip, participants may opt for additional nights in Provence, the Riviera or even Paris. These trip extensions are up to trip participants to organize, but Travel Fever Tours can make recommendations on what to see, how to get there and where to stay.
- $350 non-refundable deposit
- $1175 second installment
(Due June 1, 2018)
- $1175 final installment
(Due August 1, 2018)
Single occupancy supplement: $375