Artist trip to Oaxaca, Mexico
Join us in February 2018 for an artist trip to southern Mexico
Oaxaca, lying in southern Mexico, boasts the perfect sunny climate for a February artist tour. Over the course of a week, you’ll have a chance to paint, draw, photograph and absorb the many faces of this authentic Mexican city, from its lovely colonial architecture to the many museums and galleries that mark both the city’s cultural past and its dynamic and growing art scene.
The City of Oaxaca, Mexico:
Oaxaca is a small and manageable city that lies at 5,000 feet in the interior of Mexico. It’s sunny and warm climate attracts a growing number of visitors, but the city has escaped the rapid development found along the coasts in Mexico. Your fellow visitors are as likely to be European as Americans.
The city lies in a valley with green hills on all sides and the historic center of the city could be as easily in Spain as in Mexico.
Oaxaca is known for its many indigenous crafts and local artists, both in the city and in the many villages that surround the city. The city is also known for its cuisine, providing an authentic window on a unique type of Mexican cooking.
Trip activities will include:
- Paint and draw striking landscapes and cityscapes
- Explore Oaxaca’s dynamic art scene
- Visit the major public market
- Sip coffee at a café around the Zócalo, the historic plaza at the center of town
- Visit the many galleries that show the work of the city’s many artists
- Explore the botanical gardens
- Explore the city’s many museums
- Afternoon excursion to Monte Albán, the ancient Zapotec capital
- Sample authentic Mexican cuisine, including the local Mole Negro
- Walk along streets that show Oaxaca’s historic colonial architecture
- Visit the city’s massive cathedral, begun in 1553.
Dates: February 10-17, 2018
Instructor: Peter Roux
More information: Download Tour Brochure (PDF)
Maximum group size: 12
Tour History: Read about our past trip to Mexico
Oaxaca is an ideal setting to be inspired to create with instructor Peter Roux.
Peter is both an accomplished artist and an experienced art instructor. He has 20 years of teaching experience. He taught for many years at Lesley University’s College of Art and Design (formerly Art Institute of Boston) and other art schools and now offers private instruction.
Peter works primarily in oils and finds himself both in- and outside his studio in North Carolina. He has exhibited in galleries in New York, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, and in dozens of other cities. He has worked in Iceland and looks forward to a museum show in Cypus in the spring of 2018. His work is part of dozens of corporate collections around the country. Some of Peter’s work is displayed below, but the best way to learn about him and his work is to visit his website.
For more information about Peter, and to see more samples of his work, visit his website at: www.peterrouxartist.com.
Reserve your place
To reserve your place on this tour, send a check for $350 (or $2600 for full trip), payable to Travel Fever Tours LLC to:
Travel Fever Tours LLC
8 Garden Lane
Putney, VT 05346 USA
Or pay online with a credit card by selecting one of the following options:
- Traditional Mexican breakfasts to be taken at the hotel.
- Dinner at top restaurants in or near the center of Oaxaca
Total cost of the trip is $2300
Supplement for single occupancy of $300
What’s include in the cost of the trip:
- Art instruction by Peter Roux
- 7 nights lodging
- Breakfast and dinner each day
- Pickup and drop off at Oaxaca airport
- Local transportation by van and driver
- Excursion to Monte Albán, the ancient Zapotec capital and other areas surrounding Oaxaca.
What’s not included:
- Admission to museums and local sites
- Art supplies
Places on the tour are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. A deposit is required to reserve our place. This deposit is non-refundable, unless of course the trip is canceled for any reason by Travel Fever Tours. Natural disasters, political instability or low enrollment form the basis for canceling a trip. You will be contacted once the trip reaches minimum enrollment so that you can proceed with purchase of your flights and make other travel arrangements. In all cases, review of enrollment numbers will not take place any later than the date of the First Installment payment.
- $350 non-refundable deposit
- $975 second installment (December 15, 2017)
- $975 Final installment (January 15, 2018)
Supplement for single occupancy of $300